Demand for mental health tools and services skyrockets; SAMSHA crisis hotline reported 9 times the number of requests for mental health crisis support in March
Genomind’s mental health tools were shown to reduce emergency room visits by 40% and inpatient hospitalizations by 58% 
Recent health plan contracts provide in-network coverage and significant discounting of Genomind Professional PGx Express for almost 40 million subscribers
KING OF PRUSSIA, Pa., April 23, 2020 — Genomind®, the leading mental health company bringing precision medicine into mainstream mental health treatment, today announced that during a time of unprecedented mental health demand, it is working with providers, health plans, and employer groups to increase access to its mental health tools and services. Its flagship pharmacogenetics (PGx) product, Genomind® Professional PGx Express™, provides genetic guidance to reduce the process of mental health medication trial and error. A recent independent study showed that Genomind’s mental health tools and services can reduce the burden on the healthcare system by decreasing emergency room and in-patient hospitalizations by 40% and 58%, respectively.
Genomind confirmed five recent additional network coverage contracts for Genomind Professional PGx Express – the most advanced and comprehensive mental health pharmacogenetic testing service available. With these new contracts, Genomind Professional PGx Express is now covered in-network at significantly discounted contracted rates with 26 health plans and organizations serving almost forty million members across the United States.
“At this critical point in our shared history, it is more important than ever to make sure that those with mental health conditions have access to the tools and services they need, and to stay out of the hospital whenever possible,” said Shawn Patrick O’Brien, Chief Executive Officer at Genomind. “We are going to be part of the solution. We applaud the commitment of these health plans to help their subscribers access mental health resources that reduce the burden on hospitals and providers, and look forward to continued work with other health plans to support broader access to mental health PGx testing.”
Skyrocketing Demand for Mental Health Tools and Services
Even prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, mental health issues have been increasing. In April, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported a 35% increase in suicide rates between 1999 and 2018. Since the recent events related to the novel coronavirus have disrupted everyday life, leading advocacy and professional groups are reporting a sharp rise in mental health concerns.
- The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) reported that its national hotline that provides emergency help to people suffering from emotional distress has received almost nine times more calls in March 2020 than it did the month prior.
- More than one-third of Americans say the pandemic is having a “serious impact” on their mental health, according to a survey released March 25 by the American Psychiatric Association.
- One recent report noted that the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) indicated that calls and emails to its help line have increased by 40% in the past few weeks.
“Even as our hospitals and health systems are being stretched to the limit, it is clear that mental health cannot wait. It is incumbent upon us as mental health professionals to do everything we can to provide tools and services that both help our patients and reduce the burden on our health systems,” said Gisoo Zarrabi, M.D. Medical Director of Harbor Psychiatry & Mental Health. “Genomind’s PGx test and services are an important tool in my arsenal and I am pleased to see the company making these efforts to increase access to mental health technologies that can support my practice and benefit my patients.”
Genomind has taken several steps to help mental healthcare providers work remotely and deliver quality care during the COVID-19 crisis. Genomind is providing:
- Through its partnership with Sharecare, a HIPAA-compliant telemedicine platform at no cost through September, accessible through genomind.com/sharecare;
- Free educational materials including a webinar to help providers with the logistics of telepsych practices;
- Through its collaboration with NeuroFlow, remote collaborative care tools used by thousands of clinics and organizations including the Department of Defense to track treatment and outcomes among the whole care team; and
- Genomind Professional PGx Express Direct-to-Patient, which enables patients to receive and self-administer the test at home, with the healthcare provider receiving the results quickly and without requiring the patient to travel to a clinician’s office or a lab.
About Genomind® Professional PGx Express™
Genomind® Professional PGx Express™, available by prescription, is the most advanced mental health genetic testing service available, analyzing variants on up to 24 genes selected for inclusion based on guidelines from expert consortia peer-reviewed studies due to their significance in mental health. Test results include information on patients’ genetic variants that are relevant for the treatment of conditions such as depression, anxiety, autism, schizophrenia, chronic pain, bipolar disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and substance abuse.
Genomind Professional PGx Express bundles the test results with a suite of services, including:
- Consultations to pharmacists and clinicians with Genomind’s PGx experts to review the report results;
- Access to G-DIG®, the Genomind Drug Interaction Guide, which is a patient-specific software tool designed to assist clinicians and pharmacists in checking gene-drug and drug-drug interactions when prescribing medications;
- An Rx MetaType Card™ providing the patient’s genotype and phenotype for certain genetic variants related to drug metabolism, which can have a critical impact on the effects of drugs on that individual; and
- Access for patients and providers to NeuroFlow, a progressive collaborative care digital platform of behavioral health smartphone apps to help the care team and patients better track compliance with treatment plans and enable remote monitoring and measurement-based care.
- A Direct-to-Patient service, in which the patients can receive and administer the test in their own homes, without having to travel to a doctor’s office or healthcare facility.
Genomind is the leading mental health care company delivering the genetic testing tools that empower clinicians to make more informed treatment decisions and create better outcomes for patients with mental illnesses. As the scientific leader in genetic testing, Genomind’s flagship offering is Genomind Professional PGx Express – the most advanced and comprehensive mental health genetic service available. Supported by a world-class genetics lab and unique consultative approach, Genomind is advancing a new paradigm of personalized medicine in mental health care.
For more information, connect at Genomind.com.
GENOMIND MEDIA CONTACTS:
Sam Brown Inc.
Marketing Director, Genomind
 Perlis R et al. Pharmacogenetic testing among patients with mood and anxiety disorders is associated with decreased utilization and cost: A propensity‐score matched study. Depression and Anxiety, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1002/da.22742